For some reason I had a craving the other day for the frozen pot pies I used to have as a kid. My mom would cook either Banquet or Swanson pot pies, turkey or chicken, in the oven. I remembered loving them. Of course, I had to look up the nutrition information this time, and found that these are NOT the best choice for a healthy/low fat diet! Right away I began searching for a "low fat chicken pot pie" recipe, and I found one here. Again, from About.com. I wasn't feeling all that well so my husband assembled it for us, and it turned out great. We used Biquick heart healthy baking mix, which is a low fat mix, and frozen vegetables that included a mixture of green beans, carrots, and corn. I think the key is in the fat free mushroom soup instead of gravy. It is still *somewhat* high in fat (5.9 grams per the recipe), but NOTHING compared to the frozen version (around 20 grams of fat)! This meal was easy prep, quite good, and tasted healthy, too!
Low Fat Chicken Pot Pie
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients:
2 cups chopped cooked chicken (white meat)
2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
1 10.75-ounce can 98% fat-free, reduced-sodium condensed mushroom soup
1 cup reduced fat all-purpose baking mix
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 egg
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine chicken, frozen vegetables and undiluted soup in an 8 x 8-inch baking dish. Whisk baking mix, milk and egg together until blended. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the top is golden.
Serves 4.
Per Serving: Calories 280, Calories from Fat 52, Total Fat 5.9g (sat 1.7g) Cholesterol 89mg, Sodium 793mg, Carbohydrate 36.1g, Fiber 3.8g, Protein 21g
(Source: About.com - http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/poultrydishes/r/chickpotpie.htm)

No comments:
Post a Comment